Principal Childcare Advocate - Milton Keynes Council
£55,312 - £59,608
Principal Childcare Advocate
A fantastic opportunity to join an exciting, dynamic, friendly and award winning team in Milton Keynes.
We are looking for a Principal Childcare Advocate to join our vibrant in-house Legal Team. This role would be suitable for an experienced practitioner who can demonstrate the ability to deal with a complex childcare caseload and provide management, mentoring and support to more junior staff.
Milton Keynes Council Legal Services have a non-hierarchical philosophy and a focus on mentoring and personal development. We work as a team with our clients to support the Council to achieve value for money throughout the services we deliver.
We recruit strongly on value and behaviours. As a forward-thinking legal department, we place emphasis on proactivity, commercial mindedness and pushing the boundaries. If you're looking for an opportunity to contribute to an iconic town's growth, as well as enhancing your own legal career, please contact us to find out more.
- To lead a team of lawyers responsible for a mixed caseload of complex and routine matters. Ensuring through appropriate delegation and supervision that all work is both of the correct quality and performed in a timely manner. All work will be undertaken with the purpose of assisting the Council to achieve its business objectives.
- Ensure through robust performance management the delivery of value for money services to high practice standards within a culture of continuous improvement.
- To ensure the team assists and supports the Council in achieving its outcomes successfully. To ensure the team has the skills and competencies to advise on all relevant matters within agreed resources. Success will be determined through agreed and measured timely quality outcomes,
- To establish and maintain an understanding of the clients business needs and objectives through building and maintaining professional relationships. Mentoring and encouraging more junior team members so that the client's objectives are understood and shared throughout the team.
- To ensure through proper delegation and professional supervision arrangements that work is undertaken in the most efficient manner. To ensure that the use of external advice and support is only procured in accordance with agreed procedures and is focused on achieving best value.
- As a Principal Lawyer to be one of the Council's legal expert in one or more core areas of legal work dealt with by Legal Services.
- Be an integral part of the Management Team of Legal Services demonstrating a personal commitment to the Council's Values and encouraging and holding to account those values throughout their team.
- To deputise for the Service Director Legal and Democratic Services, Head of Legal Services or other Principal Lawyers at Committee meetings, meetings with Senior Officers or other important meetings with Councillors and external stakeholders.
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
• Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution
• A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and
public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
• Option to buy more annual leave
• A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity
• Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of
Leadership and Management
• Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options
• Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
• MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure
discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.