Head of Legal Services - Barnsley Metropolitan Council
£51,562 - £56,055 per annum plus 20% payment
We have an opportunity available to join us as a Head of Legal Serviceswhere you will head-up teams of highly motivated and skilled lawyers providing vital support to assist the Council deliver its key priorities of ensuring a thriving and vibrant economy which is truly inclusive, and to help maintain strong and resilient communities where everyone is able to achieve their potential. You will be a commercially aware solicitor, barrister or chartered legal executive who has a strong local government track record and demonstrate an aptitude and desire to deliver excellent legal services to our in-house and external clients.
You will join on a full time, permanent basis and in return you will receive a competitive salary of £51,562 - £56,055 per annum with an added market rate payment of 20%.
As an employee of the Council you will enjoy:
- A fine location, in a vibrant town, rich in culture, with extensive green belt bordering on the Peak District, yet close to the M1 and within easy travelling distance of the major centres of Sheffield and Leeds
- Excellent conditions of employment with a fair employer, which promotes work life balance, flexible working and a defined benefit pension
- A state of the art office environment
The Head of Legal Services will be the Council's second most senior lawyer reporting directly to the Legal Services Director & Solicitor to the Council. You will manage a group of Team Leaders whose teams are responsible for providing legal services across the full range of Metropolitan Council functions. You will also provide direct expert legal advice to senior stakeholders, legal support on complex corporate and strategic issues and work within strategic partnerships with other agencies.
Responsibilities of our Head of Legal Services include:
- Provide specialist advice to internal and external stakeholders
- Lead on the development of Council wide strategy giving consideration to all national and local policy issues
- Maintain effective internal and external relationships at a senior level
- Manage the financial performance of the Service within the resource envelope
- Play a key role in the Legal Services' Business Unit management team ensuring strategic targets and business plans are delivered
- Implement innovative and effective service delivery methods across the area of responsibility
- Lead an ongoing strategic review of case management and other technologies
- Undertake the professional supervision of lawyers, providing direction and co-ordination
- Engage in dialogue with Executive and Service Directors/Heads of Service and related officers
What we're looking for in our ideal Head of Legal Services:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister
- High performer with experience of building effective relationships with senior officers and members
- Leadership and Management Training to Level 7
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development
- Significant post qualification experience in a legal environment preferably in the public sector
- Significant experience of providing specialist advice and guidance to managers at all levels of seniority, external agencies and other forums on a regular basis
Closing date: Sunday 19th January 2020
For more details and to apply, please click here
So, if you feel you have the skills and experience for
our Head of Legal Services then please click 'Apply' today
and complete an application form on our website.