Employment and Education Lawyer - London Borough of Lambeth
PO3- PO5: Starting salary £38,403 pa rising in annual increments £47,274 pa incl LW
One year fixed term contract or secondment Opportunity.
Lambeth Borough Council's Legal Services is looking to recruit an enthusiastic Employment and Education Solicitor. You will be an England and Wales qualified lawyer or a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives
You will be able to will hold a case load which covers all aspects of employment law. You will undertake technical and complex research need to be confident in advising council officers on issues such as TUPE and discrimination. You will have excellent time management skills as you will need to manage your own workloads and juggle competing demands sometimes within tight deadlines. You will have the opportunity to develop your advocacy skills and will enjoy a wealth of challenging and varied legal work.
You must be flexible and an excellent team player who can thrive working in an experienced, friendly and supportive team which develops and values its staff.
You will be a confident lawyer with a "can do" attitude, have a commercial outlook and will look for innovative and collaborative ways to deliver a client focused service which adds value for our clients and taxpayers.
This will be a 35 hour per week permanent role. This post is a career grade and the full Job Role is attached.
We are looking for a Solicitor at grade P04- P05.
Experience Lawyers will also get 8% Recruitment and Retention Allowance (T & C apply)
Applicants are invited to submit the application form and supporting statement which will need to demonstrate that you can satisfy the Role Specific Qualifications, and that you have the necessary attributes to take on this role.
We are all about delivery and achievement:
• To support the senior solicitor in delivering the team's objectives.
• To provide legal and procedural advice to Members and Officers relating to employment law matters, including TUPE and pensions, SEN cases and other education matters.
• To undertake complex and routine legal cases involving employment matters and to manage time and responsibilities accordingly.
• To conduct proceedings, before Tribunals and to appear as an advocate as appropriate.
• To brief Counsel in accordance with the Legal Services' procedures and, when necessary, attend conference with Counsel.
• To advise on council policies and practices and in identifying any contraventions to ensure Council compliance with legislation.
• To draft, prepare and collate statements of case and other legal documentation, to advise on law and evidence, to interview witnesses and draft statements and to have general conduct of all matters which are the responsibility of the post holder.
• To monitor changes in the law and practice as they affect the team and implement changes when necessary. To meet monthly and annual chargeable hours target.
• To assist with developing and implementing office systems and ensuring that the most efficient and cost-effective procedures are adopted.
• To undertake any of the responsibilities within this Job Description.
• To undertake any other duties and requirements appropriate to the grading of the post.
Please contact Dawn Lelliott on 07591382471 for an informal discussion.
Closing date for receiving the completed application form is Monday 26 August 2019.
How to apply please visit our website www.lambeth.gov.uk/jobs or click here to apply online.